Team Lead - 2nd Shift
Department: Manufacturing Support
Reports To: Operations Manager
Reporting Employees: Production Operations Team Members
Work Schedule: 3:30 pm - 2:00 am Monday - Thursday. Overtime may be required based upon business need and may be mandatory.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
This position is accountable for contributing to Plymold's profitability by improving Production Operations Team Members (POTM) performance. This is done by displaying leadership qualities through his/her actions and words, by providing the necessary resources and support to POTMs as they are needed, and by facilitating the SQDC performance improvement of the cells being served. This position works with employee-owners within his/her areas of responsibility to assist operations in ensuring the proper fulfillment of customer orders.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
Contributes to the continuity of production and SQDC in all work cells
- Establishes a lean vision for his/her processes, sets SQDC and 5S improvement goals, and takes the proper action to achieve these goals;
- Posts and monitors SQDC and 5S measurements to provide visual trend of progress against goals and objectives, and to identify opportunities for improvement;
- Conducts daily startup meetings to review SQDC and 5S performance; establish short and long term performance goals, review initiative status, present company issues, and create a winning, collaborative team spirit;
- Determine priorities between the cells in order to provide timely service to each based upon demand;
- Contributes to sustained operations by anticipating needs;
- Performs non-repetitive tasks within the cells that do not occur each cycle;
- Updates Hour-by-Hour boards in a timely and accurate manner;
- Ensures all newspaper items are being placed on the newspapers;
- Works to develop, implement, and improve standard work for his/her own processes as well as for the work cells being served;
- Conducts audits as required;.
- Adheres to established standard work process and fully understands established quality standards to assure company quality guidelines;
- Follows and adheres to all safety policies, including maintaining a safe and organized work areas; promotes safety as #1 priority
- Contributes to and utilizes 5S principles on a daily basis; assist employees in raising the level of 5s.
Contributes to managing daily staff needs to meet organizational objectives
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures through regular management and staff meetings;
- Responsible for providing employee-owners timely, candid and constructive feedback;
- Develops employee-owners to their full potential and providing challenging opportunities that enhance employee-owner career growth;
- Works with individual POTMs and Operations Manager to flex workforce between work cells, thereby enabling individual growth and development; and offering cross-training in line positions
- Understands processes from the POTMs perspectives:
- Recognize and reward employee-owners for accomplishments; recommend employees for promotions and/or terminations as appropriate; aiding in the communication of these decisions;
- Participate in the selection and on-boarding of new employee-owners within production cells; actively involved in the proper training and development of new employee-owners;
- Perform transactional activities according to company policies related to reporting/editing an employee-owners time for payroll and time off recording purposes; ensures employee-owners properly use time clock system;
- Promotes positive team performance and effective work performances;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in the organization;
- Demonstrates initiative and cross-trains to improve performance and flexibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment in completion of all work:
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
As Plymold is a manufacturer of furniture; the employee-owner could also be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes, and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to time spent on the manufacturing floor, the employee-owner must be able to tolerate exposure to these workplace characteristics. The employee-owner must also follow allow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protective equipment while on the production floor.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employee-owners with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Manual Dexterity - Ability to be able to move your hands quickly to grasp, manipulate, or assemble.
- Extent Flexibility - The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs. Typically bends, stoops, and turns/pivots to move/perform production activities
- Trunk Strength - The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without "giving out" or fatiguing.
- Static Strength - The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 70 pounds on a rare basis, 21-50 pounds occasionally, and up to 20 pounds on a frequent basis. Typically pushes, pulls, and grasps wood products to complete production tasks. A 2-person lift Is required for anything over 50 pounds.
- Stamina - The ability to exert you physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath; must be able to walk/stand for the duration of the assigned shift in intervals of 3-4 hours in the department assigned.
- Dynamic Strength - The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue
- Multi-limb Coordination - The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing. Typically requires full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products and/or tools.
- Gross Body Coordination - The ability to coordinate the movement of your arms, legs, and torso together when the whole body is in motion while performing production functions.
- See, Hear and Communicate - Sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: GED or High School Diploma preferred; at least 1-3 years in a leadership role preferred in manufacturing setting
- Act like an employee-owner by fulfilling the commitments you make, treating everyone with the respect they deserve, promoting positive team performance and effective work performances, and upholding the values of an employee-owner through words and actions.
- Ability to work alone or as a team employee-owner with minimal supervision.
- Willing to work overtime as needed, and be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Must possess an ability to read and interpret work orders and other production documents, and have a thorough knowledge of the processes being served and the products they produce.
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions quickly.
- Instrumental in cultivating positive work relationships among the POTMs and support functions to sustain workflow and quality
- Excellent organization skills to prioritize balance and accomplish the continuity of work, and to anticipate and eliminate interruptions in the flow of materials.
- Possess excellent communication skills to coordinate the work being done between the cells served, as well as other internal functions.
- Proficient in the use of small hand tools and possess troubleshooting aptitude.
- Work with littler supervision, monitoring own work and quality.
- Demonstrable experience with PCs, prior experience ERP systems required; must be proficient with Microsoft Office products and capable of quickly becoming proficient with Plymold ERP systems.
- Must maintain safe maintenance practices and adhere to Foldcraft and OSHA safety requirements;
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- The employee-owner must reside within a reasonable distance of assigned location.
- Travel: Must be willing to travel to other Minnesota manufacturing operations as requested.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Plymold reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at their discretion. The job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.