The Engineering Manager will develop and ensure the execution of best practice engineering design and documentation strategies. The incumbent is responsible for directing the design and implementation of manufacturing processes and technology tools (from pilot to fully operational) to improve the digital flow of information to Operations and from Sales.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Directs and manages concurrent engineering projects ensuring they meet their required outcomes
- Identifies and manages third party engineering relationships as needed
- Develops and oversees impactful metrics as they pertain to engineering
- Partners with Sales Teams to ensure new products are in line with Plymold competencies
- Establishes and enforces Plymold best practice engineering standards and designs while meeting regulatory and compliance requirements
- Leads the design and implementation of manufacturing processes and technology tools (from pilot to fully operational) to improve the digital flow of information with Plymold resulting in consistently manufactured products supported by robust and efficient procedures.
- Directs the activities of analyzing, recommending, and implementing improvements and/or modifications in current processes, technology, and equipment; outlines integration recommendations for specified new requests and takes lead in implementation.
- Champions training technicians, operators and support staff and certifies them as they qualify; provides ongoing support to users as required.
- Directs the implementation and maintenance of the documentation associated with standard operating procedures for new and existing processes.
- Monitor and stay abreast of the latest technology, materials, equipment, and practices; educate others in the department as well as key plant personnel.
- Directs activities to monitor and update system data in ERP system.
- Ensures the Engineering team provides shop drawings, both two-dimensional and three dimensional, timely for product review prior to fabrication.
- Directs Product Engineers activities including shop drawings, customer approvals, product packaging recommendations, and installation instructions.
- Serves as a technical expert of drafting and detailing services to the organization.
- Oversees product testing as it pertains to existing products and new product development.
- Leads the corporate initiative for accurate and timely BOM and routing information.
- Directs the maintenance of a library of standard product designs, drawings, and specifications.
- Champion of maintaining or enhancing a culture of continuous improvement.
- Challenge peers, as well as self to be a catalyst in the creation and maintenance of a culture of continuous improvement.
- Stay abreast of current trends within the industry and general marketplace.
- Offers new ideas to support fulfillment of department goals and procedures for continuous improvement, retention of customer base, company profitability.
- Foster solid, active communication between all departments, collaborating with your peers and using your strengths to benefit our employees and our customers.
- Serve as a coach to the Engineering Team to ensure both strategic, tactical, and consistent administration of practices, procedures, and policies; ensures compliance with all policies and procedures through regular management and staff meetings.
- Stay abreast of the employee relations climate/employee culture to ensure solutions to problems are developed while issues are minor.
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures through regular management and staff meetings; meets with direct reports to maintain a high level of understanding and cooperation within each department.
- Develop a working relationship with internal Plymold departments to deliver the most efficient customer care and service.
- Develop employees to their fullest potential and provide challenging opportunities that enhance employee career growth; recognize and reward employees for accomplishments.
- Participate in the selection and on-boarding of new employees within the Engineering Team; actively involved in the proper training and development of new employees; identifies personnel who are capable of training new staff members.
- Understands processes from the operators' perspectives.
- Recognize and reward employees for accomplishments; recommend employees for promotions and/or terminations as appropriate; aiding in the communication of these hiring decisions.
- Partnering with Executive Team, effectively manage Plymold within the policies and guidelines of the company, always ensuring customer and employee satisfaction.
- Stay informed of our financial health recommending changes as necessary to improve company performance and profitability.
- Tirelessly promote and support our brand, creating recognition and awareness throughout the furniture marketplace and with our employees.
- Collaborate on and participate in the development and implementation of company-wide projects and initiatives as assigned by VP of Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Special projects as assigned
The work environment for this position is primarily in an office setting. As Plymold is a manufacturer of furniture, the incumbent could be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes, and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the incumbent must be able to tolerate some exposure to these workplace characteristics. The incumbent must also follow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protecting equipment, while on the production floor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Must be able to sit at desk for an eight-hour shift (with intermittent movement)
- Occasionally will be required to lift objects up to 50 pounds
- Full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc.
- See, hear, and communicate with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions
- Must be alert and aware of surrounding for safety concerns
- Education: Bachelor's degree in mechanical, product, or design engineering; or equivalent experience.
- Experience: 8+ years experience in manufacturing environment; prior experience in managing, coaching, training, and leading people required.
- Approachability to ensure successful leading and coaching others unfamiliar with the processes and technologies.
- Project management skills that demonstrate the ability to set goals and priorities to complete projects in a systematic and timely manner.
- Solid understanding of a raw material flow within a manufacturing facility
- Excellent analytical, trouble shooting, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to motivate and retain employees to get excellent performance.
- Ability to understand and carry out corporate direction quickly and with minimal supervision.
- Must be well-composed while under pressure always maintaining positive attitude in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with all levels of employees.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- Must maintain safe maintenance practices and adhere to safety requirements.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office products and capable of quickly becoming proficient with Plymold ERP systems.