The Product Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and modifying product designs in connection with customer requests. The Product Engineer also advocates for and follows all production procedures efficiently utilizes time, materials and company capabilities, with consideration for quality and cost.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Provide engineered shop drawings, both two-dimensional and three dimensional, if required by customer, for product review prior to fabrication; provide layout drawings as requested by customer.
- Provide engineered shop drawings to be used for purchased parts (outsourced), manufacturing, and customer layout processes.
- Develop product packaging that is cost effective, minimizes waste, and safely protects all products during shipment.
- Develop installation instructions; serves as a resource for product installations.
- Update product designs, drawings and specifications as required utilizing change control process methodology.
- Participate and lead team and company continuous improvement activities.
- Work directly with the Manufacturing Engineers to address shop floor issues and manufacturing concerns, ensuring continuous product and process improvements; work directly with estimating and project management and on occasion directly with end users on finalizing drawing details.
- Develops bill of materials, including raw materials requirements, hardware needs, time requirements, etc. May recommend where to obtain outsource products specified based upon experience.
- Participate in Sales phone calls and conversations in an effort to offer product and technical support.
- Other duties/projects as assigned.
The work environment for this position is primarily in an office setting. As Plymold is a manufacturer of furniture, the incumbent could be exposed to dust, various temperatures, fumes, and loud noise in the manufacturing setting. Due to periodic time spent on the manufacturing floor, the incumbent must be able to tolerate some exposure to these workplace characteristics. The incumbent must also follow company safety procedures, including wearing required personal protecting equipment, while on the production floor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Must be able to sit at a desk for an eight-hour shift (with intermittent movement)
- Occasionally will be required to lift objects up to 50 pounds
- Full use of arms and hands to reach overhead, forward, and out to the sides to lift, rotate, carry, etc. wood products, tools, and equipment.
- See, hear, and communicate with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions
- Must be alert and aware of surrounding for safety concerns
- Education: Preferred: Bachelor's degree in mechanical, product, or design engineering; or equivalent experience.
- Experience: 2-4 years experience in similar role in manufacturing environment.
- Required proficiency in CAD software, preferred experience in Solid Works.
- Preferred experience with product fabrication for the institutional and/or commercial foodservice markets.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of the materials used in fabrication and packaging, including raw materials, hardware, and shop supplies.
- Must demonstrate his/her commitment to providing accurate and quality work products..
- This position requires an individual that can handle multiple projects at one time.
- Must have the ability to work effectively in a team environment that requires cross training, open communication, team development, and improvement activities.
- Must be well-composed while under pressure always maintaining positive attitude in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required accompanied with a persona of a high character teammate..
- Demonstrable experience with PCs, prior experience with a Vantage/Epicor ERP Database a plus but not required; must be proficient with Microsoft Office products and capable of quickly becoming proficient with Plymold ERP systems.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse environment with all levels of employees.
- Willingness to continuously learn and be open to feedback to improve individual performance.
- Must maintain safe maintenance practices and adhere to safety requirements.